The Importance of Wearing FFP2 and N95 Face Masks for the New Strain of Coronavirus in the UK
As a new strain of coronavirus disease covid 19 pandemic starts to spread in the United Kingdom, it has prompted dozens of travel bans and widespread concern about what this means for the world. This scary new strain sars cov 2 called B.1.1.7 has a series of mutations that makes it more transmissible easily than other circulating strains of SARS-CoV-2 than Covid 19. Moreover, the new strain is potentially 70% more contagious than earlier ones and could prolong the coronavirus pandemic and covid 19.
The importance of FFP2 and N95 Face masks
According to the World Health Organization, people under 60 years of age will be most affected by this strain. Those infected don't show any signs or symptoms, and people wearing face mask may wander freely without showing any suspicious symptoms of covid 19.
Protect you and your community
The role of wearing face masks is undeniably vital and massive. Wearing a mask is the most crucial thing we can do to slow down the spread of the virus, as it reduces the spray of respiratory droplets when worn over the nose and mouth. It is the most superficial barrier to help prevent anyone's respiratory droplets from reaching others.
Among the different variants of masks use available in the market, there are officially two types of protective masks that can protect against such viruses: surgical masks and respirators. People wearing homemade cloth masks are just cloth face coverings. They are not protective equipment and an alternative to medical masks and suggestions is to remove the mask because of its false sense of security and to prevent the spread.
- Surgical masks do not protect completely the wearer against "airborne" infectious agents. However, according to experts, if everyone wears a surgical mask and learns to follow hygiene and simple precautionary measures including social distancing and close contact et al, it could reduce the chance of viral transmission and spread of covid 19.
- On the other hand, respirators are personal protective equipment that protects those who wear them from inhaling "droplets" of infectious agents of novel coronavirus. It also prevents the wearer from inhaling aerosols, vapors, or gases that can cause damage to health.
- FFP2 and N95 masks are examples of respirators used to protect the wearer from airborne particles and liquid contaminating the face. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and source control, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) recommends and regulates the usage of wearing masks to the general public and health care workers.
- FFP2 masks may have a minimum of 94% filtration percentage and a maximum of 8% leakage to the inside. These masks are mainly used for constructional and agricultural purposes. Many people and Healthcare professionals also use it against influenza viruses and covid 19.
- Filtering Face Pieces are meant to fit tightly in the user's face. Meanwhile, N95 masks filter at least 95% of airborne particles and infect dis. It covers the nose and mouth and helps protect the wearer from breathing in some hazardous substances.
- Respirators of class FFP2 (EU standards) and class N95 (US standards) offer maximum filtration of particles and aerosols’. Anyone who wants to have excellent protection because of their job or healthcare settings or because they are in contact with people and work in an environment at risk should be wearing masks or a respirator.
Fighting and preventing the new strain can be just like what everyone is doing since March, as it spreads just like the standard form of Coronavirus. With this, these masks would evidently crucial in our everyday lives. Plus hand hygiene is also important to public health. Consider the importance of wearing FFP2 and N95 masks and save yourselves.