How to Make Face Mask on Your Own at Home and How to Wear a Facemask?
How to Make a Face Mask on Your Own at Home
Face coverings are best in this time of covid 19 to stop the spread of covid 19 from person to person. Mask protection has now been considered mandatory by the centers for disease control and prevention. This safety measure is applicable to everyone including health care workers and the general public. In this situation, DIY face masks or cloth masks are suitable for indoor wear and are simple to make. If you're staying at home, but you still want a protective face covering for your face, a Do It Yourself face mask is the best.
Face coverings like Do It Yourself face masks, however, shouldn't be worn by children under age two or anyone with breathing problems.
It's also important to note that DIY face masks are not at par with surgical masks or N95 respirators when it comes to viral protection. But a homemade face mask can be used when there's no available mask around, or you're just staying inside your home. All you have to do is to make a face mask either using cotton fabric or any other fabric of your choice and stay protected inside your home too.
Face mask guide:
Sewn Cloth Face Covering
What Materials Do We Need?
Two pieces of 10" x6" of fabric (cotton)
Two pieces of 6" elastic rubber bands or pieces of elastic
Bobby pin or needle and thread
Do It Yourself instructions Step by Step:
- If you don't have a 10" x6"-sized fabric, cut out the fabric to make two 10" x6" rectangles. Keep in mind that the fabric you're going to use is tightly woven cotton. Stack the two rectangles evenly and sew the sides together as if you're making them into one fabric.
- Fold the long sides of the newly sewn fabric of up to 1/4 inch and hem. Fold the shorter parts up to half an inch and hem to keep the elastic in place.
- Run your 6" elastics inside the hem on one side of the shorter sides of the fabric. Repeat the same on the other side. If you're having trouble running the elastics inside the hems, use a bobby pin or a needle as a guide. Tie the loose ends of the strings. These will serve as your ear loops.
- Wear face mask anytime and adjust accordingly if you think the mask doesn't fit the side of your face well.
Non-Sewn Face Covering
What Materials Do We Need?
- 20" x20" of a bandana, short, or square cotton cloth
- Hair ties or rubber bands
Do It Yourself instructions:
- Cut 20" x20" of a bandana, short, or square cotton material.
- Fold the fabric in half, lengthwise.
- Fold top down and fold the bottom up.
- Place the ties about 6 inches apart from each other.
- Fold the sides to the middle and tuck.
- Wear them snugly.
- Adjust accordingly if the mask is too tight or too loose.
How to properly wear your Do It Yourself face masks Step by Step?
- Make sure that the mask fits snugly and that it covers your nose and mouth.
- String ties or elastic ties should be used to prevent the mask from falling out.
- It's better if your homemade mask has at least two layers of fabric.
- The mask should still allow comfortable, normal breathing.
- Wash your homemade mask every single use.